Welcome to the next installment of the Anesthesia Patient Safety podcast hosted by Alli Bechtel. This podcast will be an exciting journey towards improved anesthesia patient safety.
We have a special collaboration episode today with the ACCRAC podcast. Thank you so much to ACCRAC and Jed Wolpaw for having me on the show to talk about the top 10 anesthesia patient safety priorities.
Here are the Anesthesia Patient Safety Priorities that we discuss on the show today:
- Culture of Safety: The Joint Commission defines safety culture as the collection of “beliefs, values, attitudes, perceptions, competencies, and patterns of behavior that determine the organization’s commitment to quality and patient safety”.3A core measure of a strong safety culture is the willingness of employees, whether clinical or in support roles, whether newly hired or experienced, to feel comfortable speaking up when they see something amiss.
- Teamwork: This is related to Culture of Safety and includes perioperative handoffs.
- Clinical Deterioration: Preventing, detecting, determining pathogenesis, and mitigating clinical deterioration in the perioperative period including early warning systems in all perioperative patients, monitoring for patient deterioration (postoperative continuous monitoring on the hospital floor, opioid-induced ventilatory impairment and monitoring, and early sepsis), and early recognition and response to decompensating patient.
- Non-Operating Room Anesthesia: Safety in non-operating room locations such as endoscopy, cardiac catheterization, and interventional radiology suites with additional considerations for Office-Based Anesthesia
- Perioperative Brain Health: Perioperative delirium, cognitive dysfunction, and brain health
- Opioid-Related Harm: Prevention and mitigation of opioid-related harm in surgical patients
- Medication Safety: Drug effects, Labeling issues, Shortages, Technology issues (e.g., barcoding, RFID), Processes for avoiding and detecting errors.
- Infectious Diseases: Emerging infectious diseases (including but not limited to COVID-19), including patient management, guideline development, equipment modification, and determination of operative risk.
- Clinician Safety: Clinician safety: Occupational health and wellness
- Airway Management: Airway management difficulties, skills, and equipment
ACCRAC stands for Anesthesia and Critical Care Reviews and Commentary. This podcast provides reviews, debates, and interviews about different topics in anesthesia and critical care. It is a great way to build knowledge and stay informed for anesthesia trainees and practicing professionals. We hope that you will check it out. You can even subscribe to the ACCRAC mailing list to get notifications for new shows.
For more information about the ACCRAC podcast, check out the website: http://accrac.com/podcast/
Subscribe to the ACCRAC mailing list.
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/@AnesthesiaPatientSafety
Be sure to check out the APSF website at https://www.apsf.org/
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter at https://www.apsf.org/subscribe/
Follow us on Twitter @APSForg
Questions or Comments? Email me at [email protected].
Thank you to our individual supports https://www.apsf.org/product/donation-individual/
Be a part of our first crowdfunding campaign https://www.apsf.org/product/crowdfunding-donation/
Thank you to our corporate supporters https://www.apsf.org/donate/corporate-and-community-donors/
Additional sound effects from: Zapsplat.
© 2023, The Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation
Hello and welcome back to the Anesthesia Patient Safety Podcast. My name is Alli Bechtel, and I am your host. Thank you for joining us for another show. Have you listened to the ACCRAC podcast which stands for Anesthesia and Critical Care Reviews and Commentary with host Jed Wolpaw? Do you subscribe to the podcast? This podcast is full of information, debates, and interviews all about anesthesia and critical care. There are even keyword reviews to help trainees prepare for exams in anesthesia. This week on the ACCRAC podcast is all about anesthesia patient safety. ACCRAC collaborated with the APSF to bring you a show all about the top 10 anesthesia patient safety priorities. Check out the show notes for more information about the ACCRAC podcast and the top 10 anesthesia patient safety priorities.
And now, here is this week’s ACCRAC podcast with host Jed Wolpaw featuring the Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation.