Concerns about anesthesia are common. Find out more about the different types of anesthesia, side effects, and what to expect after waking up from surgery.
- How Safe Is Anesthesia? Common Fears &
- How Long Does it Take to Wake Up from Anesthesia?
- What if I Have Trouble Waking Up From Anesthesia?
- What Happens if I Wake Up During Surgery?
- What are the Side Effects of Anesthesia?
- Are there Long Term Side Effects of Anesthesia?
- Can I be Allergic to Anesthesia?
- What is the Risk of Dying from Anesthesia?
- Can Anesthesia Cause Brain Damage?
- Why Does Local Anesthesia Not Work On Me?
- Are there Alternatives to General Anesthesia?
- How Many Times is It Safe to Go Under Anesthesia?
- Do Redheads Need More Anesthesia?
- What are the Types of Anesthesia?
- What Drugs Are Used in Anesthesia?
Understand your risk factors and what you can do to prepare for surgery to minimize complications and ensure the best possible recovery.
- Is Surgery Necessary?
- How Do I Pay for
- How Do I Prepare for Surgery?
- Questions to Ask Your Anesthesia Professional
- Questions to Ask Your Surgeon
- What are Risk Factors for
- How Does Alcohol Use Impact Surgery Results?
- How Does Smoking Impact Surgery Results?
- How Does My Age Affect My Outcome from Surgery?
- How Does Diabetes Impact Surgery Results?
- How Does High Blood Pressure Affect My Anesthetic?
- How Does Sleep Apnea Affect My Anesthetic?
- How Does Obesity Impact My Surgery?
- Will I Feel Pain After Surgery?
- How Do I Speed Up Healing after Surgery?
Pain Management FAQ
Pain management is a critical part of anesthesia as well as post-surgical care. Learn more about pain management options following surgery as well as for other acute and chronic conditions
- What are The Types of Pain?
- What Should I Know About Pain Management?
- How Can I Manage Pain without Medications?
- What Non-Opioid Medications are Used in Pain Management?
- What Opioids are Used in Pain Management?
- What Are the Risks of Using Opioid
The Patient Guide to Anesthesia & Surgery was developed by the Anesthesia Patient Safety Foundation's Patient Engagement Workgroup, a multidisciplinary team of patient advocates and anesthesia professionals to answer some of the most commonly asked questions patients have before surgery. Our goal is to help patients become more involved in their healthcare and learn more about what they can do to mitigate surgical risks and complications.