The Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America (SHEA) interviewed APSF Board Member Richard Prielipp, MD, MBA as a part of their “The COVID-19 Allies in Prevention” Podcast Series. In this podcast, moderator Joshua Schaffzin, MD, PhD, FAAP discusses the perioperative patient safety considerations during the COVID-19 pandemic specifically on aerosol generating procedures (i.e. endotracheal intubation and extubation, operating room entry) and considerations on patient and healthcare worker safety.
Here are some of the highlights:
- How many practices have changed before and into the COVID-19 pandemic
- Room air exchanges and how they have affected intubation/extubation traffic
- Universal precautions and PPE
- PAPRs and the operating room
- Intubation teams for perioperative care and COVID-19